otr4j is part of my GSoC 09' project and is encouraged by the SIP Communicator development. otr4j is an implementation of the OTR (Off-the-Record) protocol in java.

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Arsenal selection

I feel much more productive in Eclipse, and I also find it less obtrusive so I switched back to it.

A promising plugin, unfortunately not officially supported, for integrating Mercurial with Eclipse exists, and I installed it. IMHO the plugin is very nice and clean (I downloaded the source) BUT -as it usually happens..- I did some wrong clicks here and there and I messed up my source tree..

Then (in a bright moment I guess..) I thought I'd better switch to the command line (, I am aware of TortoiseHg, but I want my terminal back!) where I can have full control of what I’m doing (step by step..). So there I was, back at the beginning, using Eclipse and the command line :D and as I had already lost quite some time clicking around the various windows, I got back to work.

Finally (and thankfully..), I completed my changes and I wanted a tool to compare the diffs. I wanted a tool that would do folder diffing/directory diffing/folder compare/”call it what you like”, because I had done many changes and I wanted an overview picture of them.

I stumbled upon this stackoverflow post which led me to use WinMerge, because it is free, and even better it’s open source! I had to download the setup executable to get it to work because WinMergeU.exe depends on MFC7.1 and I could not find the the Microsoft VC++ 2003 Redistributable Package. The tool works fine, in fact it works great and I liked a lot.

If anyone wants to use WinMerge add this to the Mercurial.ini:

[extensions]
hgext.extdiff =
[extdiff]
cmd.wmdiff = C:\Program Files\WinMerge\WinMergeU.exe
opts.wmdiff = /r /e /x /ub

and then run hg wmdiff

But, (in yet another bright moment I guess..) I thought I’d try SourceGear’s DiffMerge which am used to it’s coloring conventions. This tool has folder diffing/directory diffing/folder compare/”call it what you like” and most importantly, it seemed to be a little faster than WinMerge.

If anyone want to use Sourcegear’s DiffMerge tool add this to the Mercurial.ini:

[extensions]
hgext.extdiff =
[extdiff]
cmd.sgdm = C:\Program Files\SourceGear\Vault Client\sgdm.exe

and run then hg sgdm

That’s all with my arsenal selection. If you ask me, it was a little boring to do all this stuff, but one has to do changes to his development toolset from time to time :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Commits to SIP Communicator

Mercurial commits to project otr4j on Google Code